What are Dentures?
Dentures serve as a replacement for missing teeth and surrounding tissues. They are of two types - complete and partial. Complete dentures are advised when all the teeth in the oral cavity are missing, whereas partial dentures are used when some teeth remain.
Dentures are custom-made for each patient and help restore the appearance and functions of the oral cavity. They are made to closely resemble your natural teeth so that your appearance does not change much. When all your teeth are lost facial muscles can sag, making you look older. They help fill out the appearance of your face and facial profile.
Why wear Dentures?
- They replace the support in your face that was once provided by natural teeth, allowing you to maintain your facial appearance and avoid looking older.
- When teeth are lost, the oral bone structure begins to deteriorate. Dentures slow the rate at which these bones disintegrate.
Do dentures feel like natural teeth?
- Yes! They are manufactured as teeth replacement tools designed to give the appearance and feel of natural teeth.
- They are extremely comfortable and simple to use and adapt to.
Different types of Dentures:
1. The traditional complete denture:
• Full replacement of both the upper and lower sets of teeth is referred to as a complete denture
• They are detachable.
2. Partial dentures :
• When a patient has a few missing teeth, a dentist may recommend partial dentures to replace them.
• A removable partial denture is made up of replacement teeth attached to a metal frame that holds the denture in place.
3. Immediate dentures :
• These are prefabricated, that can be placed in your mouth immediately after teeth extraction.
• The purpose of these is to replace missing teeth during the healing process.
4. Over Dentures :
• An overdenture is a removable type of denture that sits on the gums and is held in place by dental implants.
• Depending on the needs, it can be replaced on either the lower (mandible) or upper (maxillary) jaw.
How Dentures are made:
Step 1: We will make a model by taking the impression of the upper jaw (maxilla ) and lower jaw(mandible ).
Step 2: Trial dentures are done to check the fitting.
Step 3: Final dentures are completed with the necessary corrections.
Step 4: Dentures are ready to wear.